Lift Off 2024
The Circus Spot’s in-house Aerial competition
On March 23rd & 24th we will be holding Lift Off! our annual in house aerial competition.
As well as refining and polishing skills Lift Off! is designed to support our students growth and challenge them in a new way, while they explore the process of creating a performance piece.
Throughout February to March there will be 4 catch up sessions for performers. These will run on Saturday afternoons. Catch up sessions are for performers to get coach feedback about their progress, and connect with other like minded students.
Students participating receive:
• Unlimited access to open training
• 4 coach guided catch up sessions
• Entry to all Lift Off shows
• 2 additional ticket for your support crew (family and friends)
• Judges feedback
• Professional photos of your performance
• Participation certificate
• Exclusive Prizes!
There will be an information session on Friday December 8th at 7.30pm.
If you or your child is considering registering, we highly encourage you to attend. The info session will also be broadcast via Zoom, contact us for the details.
Performer registration closes on January 19th.
If you’re considering competing at Bend The Air and intend to take part in The Circus Spot’s Performer Progression Program a pre requisite is that you’ve participated in this years Lift Off!
Frequently Asked Questions
Please read thoroughly before registering in Lift Off 2023.
Click on the question to view answers.
When will Lift Off be held?
Lift Off! will be held across 2 days on Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th of March.
Who can enter?
Any Aerial student that has been enrolled at The Circus Spot in level 2 or higher in term 4 2023.
Where will Lift Off be held?
At The Circus Spot
Am I ready to perform?
All of our students are able to perform at a level suitable to them. Speak to your coach after your next class, and they will give you a better idea of what to expect from yourself.
When and where is the information session?
The information session will be held at The Circus Spot on Friday 8th of December at 7.30pm. The info session will also be broadcast via Zoom, contact us for the details.
When is the due date for registration?
Registration is due by Friday 19th of January.
How much is it to enter?
$190 per performer
How much commitment is required?
In addition to attending all your regular classes, and the catch up sessions, plan to attend open training at least once a week.
Do I need to organise my own costume and make up?
Costumes and make up are OPTIONAL.
You don’t have to have a costume; you will not be penalised if you perform in training gear.
If you would like to wear a costume, you will need to organise your own.
The Circus Spot has a limited number of costumes that can be borrowed for a non-refundable hire fee of $20. A security deposit of $50 is required, which will be refunded when the costume is returned cleaned and in good condition. All hired costumes are to not leave the training space and will be stored in the costume room with your name tagged on them
You will be required to rehearse in your costume leading up to the performance, so please organise this early.
Which day will I be performing on?
The schedule will be announced after registration is closed. But you need to be available on both days when you register.
Do students compete at different levels?
Students compete and are judged based on the level they were enrolled in during term 4, 2023.
What are the awards?
Below are some of the awards that will be handed out:
- Executing moves with a high level of technique as taught in The Circus Spot’s curriculum (transitions excluded)
- A variety of refined transitions are incorporated into the routine
- Outstanding movement quality
- Attention is given to line, and extending through arms, legs and head
- The performance focuses on conveying a theme or idea an audience
- Skills, transitions, props and costume contribute to the idea that being conveyed
- Character or style is well considered by the performer
- The performance is crafted to delight or thrill an audience
- Choreography is included to enhance the audiences experience of the skills
- The act has potential for further development
- The act has a clear and defined structure.
- Combines storytelling, technique and choreography in a creative way
How long should my act be?
Minimum of 3 minutes and a maximum of 5 minutes
Can I perform with other people?
You can perform in a solo or pair on 2 separate rig points
We are not accepting trios or higher for this competition. We are not allowing ‘extras’ (eg people on the ground) for this competition.
What skills are allowed?
All skills must be drawn from The Circus Spot’s curriculum.
You will be required to submit a skills list before the competition detailing any skills included in your performance.
Can I practice during class time?
You can practice during the ‘routine’ or ‘show off practice’ part of your regular class.
However, as class time if often limited, we strongly advise you utilize open training.
Can I have props?
Yes, but they must be able to be set up in under a minute.
Will there be any special lights?
No, the performances will be during the day and so we will just have the normal space lights.
Can I use my own aerial equipment?
Yes, personal equipment may be used. All equipment must be checked and logged by a Head Coach prior to the performance. If your equipment shows signs of damage on inspection you will not be permitted to use it in the space. The Circus Spot reserves the right to refuse the use of personal equipment for any reason.
Do I need to use a mat?
Yes, all performers will be required to use crashmats.
What's included in my entry fee?
Included with your entry fee is:
- Unlimited access to open training
- 4 coach guided catch up sessions
- Entry to all Lift Off shows
- 2 additional ticket for your support crew (family and friends)
- Judges feedback
- Professional photos of your performance
- Participation certificate
- Exclusive Prizes!
Is my fee refundable if I change my mind?